DashIO Quick Guide
Date: 1 September 2021
The simplest way to take a look at how the DashIO IoT Dashboard app works is to create an account and connect to the DashIO Test IoT Device. Go to Getting Started with a DashIO Account.
If you already have an IoT device with the DashIO Protocol enabled, go to Getting Started with DashIO enabled IoT Devices.
More information is available on the DashIO website: dashio.io
To get started with the DashIO app you need to purchase Device Credits. These can either be purchased them with an in-app purchase or they come free with a DashIO account.
- In-app purchase Device Credits allow you to setup devices on your DashIO app, but they will not be able to connect to dash, the DashIO MQTT server.
- DashIO account Device Credits allow you to setup devices on your DashIO app which can connect through dash, the DashIO MQTT server.
One Device Credit is required for every IoT device you would like the DashIO app to communicate with. This gives you the ability to use all three DashIO Protocol communication methods with that device (Bluetooth LE, TCP and MQTT).
You can create a free DashIO account that includes one free Device Credit. When you need more Device Credits, you can either buy more throug ip-app purchases or upgrade your DashIO account.
Getting Started with a DashIO Account
A DashIO account gives access to dash, the DashIO MQTT broker and services such as alarms (push notifications), sharing and automatic device detection (discovery) along with Device Credits for the DashIO Dashboard app.
Tap the DashIO Account button to Login or Create & Authenticate a DashIO account. Choose the free account that includes a free Device Credit so you can evaluate the DashIO app. You can upgrade to another plan with greater capabilities at any time. A Test IoT Device is available on the DashIO server and is shared to all account holders to test and get familiar with. To connect to this device, see the next section; Getting Started with DashIO enabled IoT Devices, Shared To me On DashIO.
Getting Started with DashIO enabled IoT Devices
To get a list of all your IoT devices, tap the Devices button. If you haven’t yet connected to any IoT devices, this list will be empty. To find IoT devices, tap the Find New Devices button which will present you with a list of options:
- My Devices on DashIO: select this option to find your devices that are already connected through dash.
- Shared To Me On DashIO: select this option to find devices that have been shared to you by other DashIO account holders. Here you will find the DashIO Test IoT Device that has been shared to you by DashIO.
- Group Devices On DashIO: select this option to find devices that have been shared by members of your group. This option is only available for group accounts.
- BLE Scan: select this option to scan for nearby BLE enabled IoT devices operating with the DashIO Protocol.
- TCP Discovery: select this option to discover TCP enabled IoT devices operating with the DashIO Protocol on the local network your mobile device and DashIO Dashboard is connected to.
- Manually Connect: select this option to manually connect to an IoT device. You can then select the connection type (BLE, TCP or MQTT) and enter the connection details.
After you have selected one of the above options, you will be presented with a list of IoT devices that are available for you to connect to. Select one of the devices and, when prompted, make sure you download the Device View(s) and Controls layout to show the device’s controls on the dashboard.
The Controls (or widgets) of an IoT Device are displayed on one or more Device Views on the DashIO app. Use the Left and Right buttons to scroll between Device Views or select a Device View from the Device Views selector button.
If you would like to change the layout, colors and behaviour of the controls, you can edit the device view by tapping the Edit button in the top right hand corner of each device view. From here you can:
- Edit Device View: Change the Device View settings by taping the Edit Device View button in the footer of the Device View.
- Edit Controls: Tap any Control to select it and the Control Settings Menu buttin will appear in the middle of the Control. The Control can then be dragged and resized (pinch). Tapping the button allows you to edit the Control settings where you can setup the colours, sizes and other characteristics of your Control.
- Add Control Manually: Tap the Add Control button and select the Control from the list that you would like to add.
- Quit editing: Tap the Edit button again.
Digging A Little Deeper
This article shows the DashIO app functionality in a little more detail.
Tap the Settings Menu button for the following:
- Buy Device Credits through in-app purchases
- Change features of the the layout of the dashboard and all controls
- Change the units of measurement
Tap the DashIO Account button to:
- Create an account.
- Login to an existing account.
- Change Account Settings.
- Make Payments and Upgrade your account plan.
- Use DashIO Cloud Services.
A DashIO account gives you access to:
- DashIO MQTT Broker to communicate between your IoT devices and the DashIO app through the Internet.
- Alarms (Push Notifications) that allow your IoT devices to message you when an important event occurs.
- Share your IoT devices with other DashIO account users.
- Group accounts that can have many users working with many IoT devices. This is particularly useful for business.
- Cloud Services for managing your DashIO app on different phones and tablets and IoT devices.
DashIO Cloud Services include the following:
- My Dashboards: manage your DashIO apps that are registered on the DashIO server.
- My Devices: manage your IoT devices that are registered on the DashIO server.
- Shared Devices: manage your IoT devices that you have shared to other users.
- Save and Load Layouts: backup and restore the complete configuration of your DashIO app.
- Manage Groups: if you are the owner of a Group account, you can manage the group members.
Device and Connection Details
Tapping the Devices button gives you a list of the IoT devices you have connected with. From this list, you can tap on a device name to select and manage the IoT device. You can:
- Manage your alarms and their alarm sound.
- Share the device with another user.
- Delete the device.
- Setup the device name and network information according to what the selected IoT device allows.
- Download the Device View and Controls layout information in a JSON file format.
- Manage connections: Select a connection to manage the connection and view the connection messages.
Design and Build You Own DashIO Enabled IoT Devices
Building you own DashIO enabled IoT devices is easy. There is a detailed document for the DashIO protocol and software development guides and examples available on the DashIO website downloads page: dashio.io/downloads
The DashIO app enables you to design your own IoT device controls layout:
- Add a Device View by tapping thebutton Settings Menu and then then Add Device View button in the footer of the Settings menu.
- Edit the Device View by tapping the Edit Device View button and make sure your select a Device to attach the device view to.
- Add Controls to the device view by tapping the Add Controls button and selecting from the controls menu.
- When your design is complete, tap the Edit button to quit editing the Device View. You can then select your device from the Devices menu button, then tap the Export Config button. You will be prompted to send your deivce configuration data as JSON in the body of an email message.